DEPARTMENT OF CHEMISTRY
The department of chemistry within the faculty of Basic Sciences has started functioning from the beginning of the Bangladesh University of health sciences (BUHS). The department has been catering chemistry education to the graduate and post graduate students for the following program:
- Master of Medicinal Chemistry
- Master of Science in Laboratory Technology
- Post graduate Diploma in Laboratory Technology
- Honours in Applied Laboratory Technology
- Public Health
- Honours in Biochemistry and
- Honours in Microbiology
The Mission of the Department is to generate skilled manpower for chemical, analytical and technical services. Natural product researches are going on under the projects-
- Chemical studies of beneficial and harmful chemical constituents, involving food, nutraceuticals and herbal medicinal products and their health effect) supported by International Science Programme (ISP) Uppsala University, Sweden.
- “Evaluation of Safety and Efficacy of some antidiabetic herbal products”under the Ministry of Science & Technology (MoST), The Peoples Republic of Government of Bangladesh.
The department has a laboratory that is being equipped. One PhD, MPhil and some MS students are doing their research in this laboratory with national and international collaboration. The researches will assess the safety, efficacy, standardization and documentation for herbal products. The faculty of the department is Prof Dr M Mosihuzzaman, Adviser; Dr. Md Shahinul Haque Khan, Associate Professor and Md Ranzu Ahmed, Lecturer.